A variation on a classic – use pinto or any dry bean you prefer – marfax or yellow eye or Jacob’s cattle. We suggest soaking your beans the night before.
A variation on the classic baked bean recipe or chili without the beef!
- Soak beans in water the night before. Drain and rinse.
- In a large pot place the beans, onion ends, thyme, pinch of salt and enough water to cover by 1″. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until tender. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- When beans are done drain – reserving about 1-2 cups of the cooking liquid.
- In another large pot or Dutch oven saute the onions in the bacon fat (or olive oil). Add the remainder of the herbs.
- Add the tomatoes and bacon and beans and 1/2 cup of the bean liquid. Stir to combine all.
- Cover and place in the oven and bake for about 1 1/2 hours – check after about 30 minutes, add more of the liquid if all has evaporated. Continue to bake until the beans are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Uncover the pot and continue to bake, about 20 minutes – the top will caramelize and the edges will brown.
Course: Breakfast, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine: American, New England