Originally given to Amber as a new parent energy bar when her first was a baby it is now a teenager energy bar (or parent of said teenagers bar)!
Recently taken on a trip to Baxter State Park by Amber and family for a quick and nutritious energy bar while hiking – wrapped in parchment, which is later added to the campfire.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13″ pan
- Toast the first three ingredients in the prepared pan in the oven for about 8 minutes, stirring halfway through – do not let it get brown.
- Move mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add the dried fruit, raisins, wheat germ and protein powder and mix throughly.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter or oil and add the syrup (or honey) stirring till bubbly.
- Mix in the last two ingredients. ***The liquid mixture hardens quickly upon cooling so the next steps should be done in quick succession.
- Pour the contents from the saucepan over the dry ingredients in the bowl, quickly mix together and transfer back to the greased pan. Pat mixture down and mold to fit the pan.
- Refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Cut into bars and wrap in wax or parchment paper.
- Store in the fridge. Yum!