Use any bean you like – we prefer MG Pinto or our MG Mixed Bean. A how-to-cook beans is at the end of the instructions.
- In a large pot, or Dutch oven, cook bacon and/or heat oil. Add onions and lightly cook till just tender, add garlic and continue to sauce stirring to keep from burning or over cooking.
- Add broth, beans, chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper (I like to add rosemary and thyme!)
- After 10-15 minutes add greens and cook till just wilted.
- Options: add chopped carrots when broth is added; add one small can of diced tomatoes.
- **How to cook fresh beans: best to soak beans overnight in water that covers the beans. When ready to cook, drain and rinse beans. Add to a large pot with water to cover. Bring to boil and cook till tender – about 40 minutes – but test for doneness after 20 minutes. When done, drain and add to your favorite dish. Cooked beans can be kept in the fridge, covered for about 3-5 days.
Course: Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine: Your own – with Maine Grains Fresh Dry Beans!