A rich cake – topped with sugar, or icing, or whipped cream to make a decadent dessert! Try with fruit and Greek yogurt for a rich breakfast or snack treat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a bundt pan and dust with flour knocking off the excess.
- Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and then remove from heat. Whisk in the baking soda – then cool to room temp.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and spices in a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and sugar in a separate bowl. Whisk the oil, then molasses mixture in to the egg mix. Add this to the flour mixture and whisk till just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepped bundt pan and rap the pan sharply on the counter to eliminate air bubbles. Bake in the middle of the oven till a toothpick comes out mostly clean – about 50 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes then turn out onto a rack and cool completely before adding sugar or other topping.
- The notes suggest making this cake the day before and kept covered at room temp for up to 3 days. Cake can also be kept well wrapped in the freezer for a treat at a later date (one of my favorite things to do).
Course: Dessert, snack, breakfast with fruit and/or a Greek yogurt topping