A favorite recipe from a favorite customer! photo by Mary Miller
Classic Irish Soda Bread – good anytime of the year!
- Place oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well to combine all.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the flour mixture – crumbling by hand till well incorporated.
- Add the raisins
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together and add to the flour/butter mixture with a rubber or wood spatula.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and fold it over onto itself several times shaping into a round loaf.
- Transfer the loaf to a cookie sheet lined with parchment and cut a large cross onto the top of the loaf.
- Bake for the first 15 minutes at 400, reduce to 350 and bake another 15-20 minutes till lightly browned. Toothpick should emerge clean when inserted into the center.
- Cool the soda bread on a rack then enjoy with sweet butter and bitter orange marmalade.
Course: Breakfast, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine: Irish, Irish American