A healthy bowl of vegetables in your soup with the added chew of MG Farro – any of our berries could be a great sub if no farro on hand.
- Heat olive oil in a heat bottomed pot over med/high heat. Stir in leeks and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally – about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, herbs, cook another 1 minute. Stir in potatoes, stock, 2 cups of water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium, cover partly and simmer about 30-40 minutes.
- In another medium pot bring 2-3 cups of water to boil, add farro and cook till just tender – about 20 minutes. If using any other non-pearled berry – cooking will take about 40 minutes (soaking before hand will shorten time). Drain.
- If herb stems were used, remove from soup. Add greens, simmer, uncovered – about 5-8 minutes.
- An immersion blender or putting the soup in a blender can be used to puree the soup till smooth.
- Add lemon juice, extra salt if needed. Stir in Farro. Add more water/broth to make a thinner soup if desired if too thick.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh Parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and/or red pepper flakes.
Course: Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack