From our friends at Pineland Farms comes a great recipe from their market.
Pineland Market brown-bread flour can also be used or a combination of MG flours as listed below.
- Preheat oven to 325
- Generously grease a 1 quart cylindrical mold or a 1 pound aluminum can (the old fashioned Maine way).
- In a 2 qt mixing bowl add the Pineland Farms flour or the combined Maine Grains flour, then add the baking soda and salt
- In a 1 quart mixing bowl, stir together the molasses and milk
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir together to incorporate – fold in the currants or raisins if using
- Fill the mold or can with batter about 2/3 of the way. Cover the top with foil and make an airtight seal
- Place the vessel- upright – in a 3-4 cup dutch oven and fill the dutch oven with boiling water that comes halfway up the sides of the mold
- Place in the preheated oven for 2 hours
- After cooking, take the vessel out of the water, remove the foil and allow to cool for about 1 hour before un-molding
- Slice in rounds and enjoy with Maine’s own Kate’s butter or your favorite baked bean recipe.
Course: Breakfast, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine: Truly New England
Adapted from Pineland Farms Market