A new twist on the classic shortbread – add some spice to your cookie!
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the flours, salt and spices together
- Combine the two bowls – the flour into the butter/sugar – to form a dough. If not stiff enough add a bit of the pastry flour; if it is too crumbly, add a tsp of water.
- Roll the dough flat between two sheets of waxed paper – about 1/4″ thick. OR you can use the butter wrappers to make dough roll logs.
- If you like, sprinkle nigella seeds or pepper flakes into the dough or on the sides of the log rolls
- Refrigerate the dough on a cookie sheet for a couple of hours or days (covered with plastic wrap). Or if short on time flash in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
- When ready to bake: preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut into 1×1″ or 2×2″ squares or 1/4″ thick slices from the rolls
- Place cookies on an uncreased cookie sheet – poke tops with fork tines
- Bake 9 minutes for a small cookie, 12-15 minutes for larger.
- Let set slightly on the baking sheet then transfer to a rack to cool
Course: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack