No barley on hand? Try MG wheat berries, MG oat groats or MG farro. If you treat berries or groats like beans – soaking beforehand – cooking time will be cut to about 30 minutes. MG farro – like MG barley – is pearled – giving it a shorter cooking time than non pearled.
Yield: about 4 servings
- Cook green beans in at least 3 cups of water till crisp – do not toss water. Transfer beans with a slotted spoon to an ice water bath.
- Bring the water back to a boil and add the barley. Simmer till tender – about 30 minutes. Drain and cool, a baking sheet works well for this.
- Heat oil in a small pan over medium heat. Cook sunflower seeds in oil, tossing to keep from burning, cook till golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Toss green beans, barley, sunflower seeds, chickpeas, feta, dill, lemon juice and vinaigrette in a large serving bowl or platter.
- Serve with a slab of MG made bread, biscuit or flatbread.
Course: Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine: Your own