With or without a chocolate drizzle – makes about 2 dozen.
- Put the oats in a food processor or blender and pulse to make flour adding the bronze fennel or fennel seeds to incorporate
- Mix the oat flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside
- In a large bowl, by hand or with a mixer, cream the butter and sugar
- Add the egg and beat well
- Add maple syrup and zest till well combined
- Add the flour mixture slowly, mixing after each addition
- Fold in the walnuts
- Scoop 1 tbsp of dough or use a cookie scoop – onto a baking sheet lined with parchment(or greased sheet) – leave 2″ between each cookie
- Wet a spatula with water and flatten each cookie to about 1/4″ thick for a crisp cookie or to 1/2″ for a softer cookie, all about 2″ wide
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minuets or till golden brown.
- When cool chocolate can be drizzled over the top as shown or left without.