Classic Italian dish – add variations to make it your own!
- Bring water, milk and salt to boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Turn heat to low, continue to whisk for 5 min – or until the polenta is smooth and creamy. When done, spread the polenta in a 9×9″ baking dish and set aside to cool.
- While the polenta is setting up, add butter and oil to a heavy bottomed skillet set to medium/low heat. Add the sliced onions and a sprinkle of salt and cook, stir occasionally, until sold and golden and caramelized – about 20 minutes.
- Pour 1 tbsp of oil into another skillet on medium heat. Using a 3″ round cookie cutter, cut circles of the firm polenta and place in the heated skillet. Cook til slightly browned and crusty on each side – doubt 2 minutes each side.
- To assemble the polenta cakes: place on a plate, add 1 tbsp of the caramelized onion onto each cake, top with crumbled goat cheese and drizzle with honey.
- OH MY! Add your own variations – sun-dried tomatoes, sliced olives, roasted vegetables, salsa, tomato sauce, other cheeses….it’s up to you!
Course: Breakfast, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine: Italian, Mexican
Adapted from Food 52 – Test Kitchen Approved. This was a Contest Winner for ‘Your Best Polenta Recipe’