Legacy Acre’s Cat Morrow shares the ‘not-your-average-succotash recipe. Thank you! Groats (oat whole grains) are a great sub for rice, quinoa or pasta – treated like beans (soaked beforehand) shortens the cook time and makes them easier to digest by reducing phytic acid.
- Overnight Instant Pot Oat Groats:
- Rinse the groats under cold water and place in instant pot with the water and vinegar.
- Cover and allow to rest at room temps for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, stir in salt and set pot to High, for 20 minutes. Once goats are finished – drain and fluff with fork – then serve/add/store, covered, for about a week in the fridge – or frozen in sealed portions
- Over medium heat cook the bacon in a skillet til crisp, when finished remove with a slotted spoon and set aside – LEAVE the bacon fat in the skillet and…
- Add the onions and zucchini to the bacon fat along with sea salt and garlic.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes – or until the zucchini is cooked through
- Add the cooked groats and the crisped bacon, stir to combine
- As an option: add herbs, fresh cream and/or balsamic vinegar
Course: Breakfast, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack