Enjoy hot, take on a weekend adventure, or freeze for later use. A lightly fermented sourdough pastry makes these empanadas extra flavorful. No sourdough starter? Dry yeast will work too!
- Pre-heat oven to 400°. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet, or lightly grease.
- Have a filling ready – leftovers, veggies, ground beef. Add a chopped boiled egg or beans for extra protein.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the dough.
- Knead the dough and let it ferment on the counter for 6-8 hours.
- Roll out circles and put a tablespoon of filling in the center, fold in half and crimp with a fork – fold and press the edges together to close.
- Empanadas can be brushed with egg or butter if you like.
- Arrange empanadas on your baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Makes about 15 hand pies –