A chocolate tart crust that can be used for a variety of fillings – a cheese rhubarb filling is listed below.
- Rye Crust
- Mix the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut in the butter till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs – a food processor can be used, pulsing a few times
- Mix the egg yolk, milk kefir or yogurt a tablespoon at a time until mixture forms a ball. Use extra liquid if needed. Make a flattened disk and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- If not using the Pastry Cheese filling and making a savory dough, replace the cocoa with flour
- Roll out dough to ab 11″ circle and 1/8″ thick. Dough, at this point, can be wrapped and frozen for later use. Place in a tart pan for baking when ready
- Poke a few fork holes in dough. A metal pie plate that fits within the tart pan will keep the sides from shrinking
- Chill again for 30-60 minutes before baking
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes at 375 degrees, remove the interior plate if used, brush the crust with egg white or egg yolk and bake for another 5-10 minuets till golden OR add the Pastry Cheese Filling and bake for 20 more minutes – see full instructions #11 and #12
- Pastry Cheese Filling
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt till smooth
- Pour the filling into a partially baked warm crust- rhubarb pieces can now be set on top of the mixture, brush with honey that has been thinned with a bit of warm water to make a sweet glaze
- Lower the oven to 350 and bake for another 20 minutes or till set
Course: Breakfast, Main Dish, Side Dish, Snack